Like SoftwareDistribution folder, Catroot2 and Catroot both folders are important for Windows update. This article explains everything about it and you will also know how to reset it.
A catroot2 folder contains some important Windows update component. Any problem on it can cause Windows update failure. So, To repair some update related issues, you will need to reset catroot2 folder like Software Distribution folder.
But, There are some differences between catroot and catroot2. You should not delete catroot folder because Windows won’t create this folder automatically. But, Windows can recreate the catroot2. Generally, You should not touch any of these folders. But, Sometimes, You may encounter stubborn update related problems. Every possible method may fail to fix that problem. In that case, You may need to modify or delete contents from that folder. It is a very easy but tricky process. But, Don’t worry. Just go through the instructions given below.
How to Reset Catroot2 Folder
To troubleshoot some update related issues, you will need to reset it. As It may help to fix that problem. To do it, you will need to follow these things.
- At first, You will need to stop some services in order to reset catroot2 folder. You can do it by executing some commands. So, First of all, Open the start menu, type cmd, right click on the Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.
- After that, Run these commands one by one.
net stop cryptsvc md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak /s
- After successfully running these commands, you will need to go to C:\Windows\System32\catroot2.
- Then, Delete everything from this folder.
- Now, Run the following command.
net start cryptsvc
- Then, Check for the latest Windows update.
By this way, You can easily delete contents or reset catroot2 folder. In case, You need to restore the contents of that folder, you can find them in C:\Windows\System32\catroot2.bak. Just, Copy and paste it in the original folder.