Sometimes, Windows 10 update may fail by showing you an error code. This article is about how to fix update error 0x800705b4 which has been a widespread problem in recent days.
During Windows Security (Formally Windows Defender) update, this same problem may appear. There are several reasons for this issue. It mostly happens when update components got corrupted. Also, The users who have been using an extremely old build of Windows 10, they also may face the error code 0x800705b4. Else, Corrupted system files and any interference of third-party services also can cause this problem. Usually, When it appears, it shows the following message-
There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x800705b4)
In fact, This is not a big problem. You can get rid of it easily.
Table of Contents
Fix Update Error 0x800705b4 on Windows 10
To troubleshoot this update problem, you have several options in hand. You can try them. Hopefully, One will work for you. By the way, Here are the most effective methods to solve windows update error 0x800705b4.
1. Run Update Troubleshooter
Whenever this type of problems appear, Windows update troubleshooter should be the primary option. In many cases, It can fix your problem. If you don’t know how to use it, follow these instructions.
- First of all, Press Win + I on the keyboard. It will open the settings.
- Now, Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- Then, Find and click on Windows Update.
- You should see the “Run the troubleshooter” button. Just click on it.
- After that, Follow onscreen instructions.
- Windows should automatically attempt to resolve update error 0x800705b4.
If it doesn’t help, follow the next methods.
2. Change Update Settings
Some people reported this weird method worked for them. You can change a small setting to get rid of this error. If you are lucky, it may work. Here are the instructions.
- At first, Go to Settings > Update & Security.
- Now, Click on Advanced Options.
- Then, Enable Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows.
- Restart your computer and see if it has fixed your problem.
3. Reset SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 Folder
It is one of the most working methods to fix update error 0x800705b4 and any other similar problems. These two mentioned folders contain important update related files. These may become corrupted for any reason. As a result, Users face problem during windows update. So, You should reset these folders to get rid of your problem.
To know how to do it, read these articles:
After doing these things, you can check for update again. If everything goes well, you should not encounter that error code again during update installation.
4. Disable Third-Party Antivirus and Firewall
Third-party antivirus and firewall are known to create various Windows update related problems. Especially, These may cause Windows Defender update issues. In this case, To troubleshoot error 0x800705b4, you should disable any third-party antivirus, firewall or security programs installed on your PC.
5. Verify that Windows Defender is Active
This problem can be related to the Windows Defender. So, You also should check if Windows Defender services are active on your PC or not. To do it, you can follow these steps.
- At first, Open the start menu, type cmd, right click on the command prompt and choose Run as administrator.
- Now, Type the following commands to verify if the services are active.
sc query WinDefend
sc query mpssvc
- If you see these are not active, you can run the following commands to activate these services.
net start WinDefend
net start mpssvc
After activating these services, try to update windows again. It may resolve update error 0x800705b4.
6. Clean Boot
Maybe, Any of the services active in the background is interfering the Windows update process. As a result, You have been encountering problems. So, You should perform clean boot and then try to update and see what happens.
6. Reset All Windows Update Components
Still encountering the problem? You can try this method. It is actually the final solution for most update related problems. Let’s see if it fixes your problem too. You can reset all windows update components. Then, Restart your PC and try to update again.
Instructions: How to reset update components
7. Repair Corrupted System Files
Problematic system files can be another reason behind this problem. Though, It is rare. Anyway, Read: How to Repair Corrupted System Files
8. Run CHKDSK Problem
Hard Disk problem is another reason for this type of update related errors. In this case, Running chkdsk command may help you to get rid of your problem. To use this command, follow these instructions.
- At first, Open the command prompt as admin like before (Method 5).
- Type the following command and hit enter.
chkdsk C: /f /r /x
- Now, You will have to press Y and hit enter.
- Then, Restart your PC. It will scan and repair hard disk bad sectors.
After that, you may be able to install windows update without facing the error 0x800705b4.
Still encountering the problem? You will have to re-install windows 10 with latest ISO. Because, Extremely, Old build of windows may be a reason behind this problem.
Hopefully, These tips will help to repair update error 0x800705b4. If you still face the problem, You may have to re-install windows 10 with latest ISO. Because, Extremely, Old build of windows may be a reason behind this problem.