While trying to update windows, you may encounter the error 0x800f0982. It has become a common problem for some users. But, This article will explain how to fix update error 0x800f0982.
People are encountering that error code when they are trying to install the march update KB4482887. Generally, The update process should run and finish smoothly. But, Due to some component issues, it may fail by showing up an error code. Some of them are very easy to fix. Some of them are too stubborn to overcome. Again, Sometimes, Retrying the update process can help. But, To troubleshoot error 0x800f0982, users must go through some specific methods.
Table of Contents
Fix Update Error 0x800f0982 on Windows 10
To solve this error, you can try some basic and advanced steps. Any of them should work.
1. Run Update Troubleshooter
It should be the first method to fix windows update error 0x800f0982. Whenever you encounter similar problems, you should run the update troubleshooter. It fixes basic update component corruptions. So, It has a good chance to resolve your problem. Here are the instructions to follow.
- First of all, Press on Win + I on the keyboard. It will open the settings in Windows 10.
- Now, Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- After that, Find “Windows Update” and click on it. Then, Click on Run the troubleshooter.
- Then, Follow the onscreen instructions.
Hope that it will fix your problem. If not, follow the next methods.
2. Reset Software Distribution and Catroot2 Folder
You can fix almost every windows update related problems by following this method. The software distribution and Catroot2 folder contain important update components. If these get corrupted, users usually get various error messages during the update process. In this case, follow these instructions.
- At first, Reset SoftwareDistribution Folder.
- Then, Reset the Catroot2 Folder.
It should fix update error 0x800f0982.
3. Try in Clean Boot
Third-party services and programs also may cause this type of errors. Especially, The Antivirus and firewall may cause conflict. So, You can disable them temporarily and try. But, To be in safe position, you should perform clean boot. Then, Try to update Windows. It may repair update error 0x800f0982.
4. Install Update Manually
Still getting the error? You probably can bypass this problem by installing the update manually. In this case, you will have to follow these instructions.
- At first, Go to this link: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx
- Then, Find the update you have been encountering an error while installing. For example, KB4482887
- After that, Download and install it on your PC.
- Now, Restart your computer to apply the changes.
In this case, You may not encounter the error code anymore.
5. Delete Contents From SystemResources Folder
Some users have reported that they have deleted everything from the System Resources folder. And it fixed update error 0x800f0982. You also may try this method.
- At first, Take backup of the folder C:\Windows\SystemResources
- Then, Delete everything from it.
- Restart your computer and try to update windows again.
- It should solve the update error.
6. Reset all Update Components
If you are still getting the error, you should reset all update components. In many cases, It works. Read: How to Reset Windows Update Components
7. SFC and DISM Command
As an additional method, you may try to repair corrupted system files. In this case, You will have run SFC and DISM commands with administrative rights. If you don’t know how to do it, follow this article: Repair Faulty System Files
These are the mostly used steps to fix windows update error 0x800f0982. If you know anything else to resolve this problem, you can put it on the comment box.