Blue Screen of death errors related to the graphics card is very common. In this article, You will get solutions on how to fix VIDEO TDR FAILURE on Windows 10.
BSOD errors have been a common topic nowadays. Especially, In modern Windows 10, it has become more acute. We can’t actually blame Microsoft for it. Because, In most cases, The third-party components we use on our PC cause this problem. By the way, This article explains the methods to fix Video TDR Failure on Windows.
Generally, the blue screen of death errors are the result of driver problem, bad memory issue, corrupted system file or hard drive problem. So, The troubleshooting methods are identical. The only important thing is to identify the actual reason behind the problem. It will make the troubleshooting process easier.
Table of Contents
How to Fix VIDEO TDR FAILURE (atikmpag.sys, nvlddmkm.sys, igdkmd64.sys) on Windows
To solve this problem, you will have to go through some specific methods. If you can access your PC and the BSOD appears suddenly, you can follow these methods accordingly. But, If you can’t access the PC properly because of the VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE appearance immediately after startup, you can follow everything in safe mode. Anyway, Here are the troubleshooting methods to follow.
1. Update Video Driver
As the most common reason behind this error is your graphics card driver (atikmpag.sys, igdkmd64.sys and NVLDDMKM.SYS), you should update it. Because, Due to an incompatibility issue of the old driver with Windows, you may be encountering the blue screen error. So, To fix VIDEO TDR FAILURE, you must try to update the graphics card.
To update drivers, you can use Driver Booster, Driver Easy, Driver Genius, or any of these best driver updating tools you want. These can find the latest appropriate graphics card driver and install it with just a single click.
However, If you want to update the GPU driver manually, here are the instructions to do it.
- At first, Open the start menu, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. It will open Windows Device Manager.
- Now, Expand Display Adapters. It will reveal the video driver.
- Then, Right click on that driver and choose “Update Driver.”
- After that choose your preferred method to update the driver. You can find more details here.
After updating, restart your computer. I hope it will solve your problem.
2. Roll Back Driver
In some cases, The VIDEO TDR Failure appears after a recent update of your graphics card driver. It is because the latest driver is not compatible with something on your PC. So, To resolve this issue, you will need to roll back that driver to the previous version. Here are the instructions.
- At first, Open the Device Manager like method 1.
- Now, Find and double-click on the video driver.
- Then, Go to the driver tab and click on “Roll Back Driver.”
- Follow onscreen instructions and done.
By this way, You can easily fix your problem. But, Sometimes, The Roll Back button may not be clickable (grayed). In this case, You can uninstall the driver manually and install a by downloading from the official website.
3. Uninstall Video Card Driver and Re-Install
Sometimes, Updating or roll backing driver doesn’t help. In this case, You can re-install the video driver. To do it, at first, you will have to uninstall the graphics driver. To uninstall –
- You can open the device manager like before.
- Then, Right-click on the driver and choose “Uninstall Device.”
- Follow onscreen instructions.
After uninstalling, you can use any of these tools mentioned above. Or download the drivers from the official site. Here are the links for the most popular graphics drivers.
For NVIDIA, Follow: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
For AMD: Follow: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
You will have to select your GPU model and then download the latest version or the previous version depending on the situation. After that, Install them. It should fix VIDEO TDR FAILURE BSOD.
4. Solve Video TDR Failure Related to the atikmpag.sys
This blue screen error is pretty common for AMD GPU users too. In this case, They may see a driver name atikmpag.sys along with the BSOD name. The first three methods should help to fix. But, If the problem still exists, you can do one more thing. Here are the instructions.
- At first, Go to C:\windows\drivers\ and find atikmpag.sys.
- Now, Rename that .sys file to atikmpag.sys.old or anything else. You also may delete it but i recommend you to rename only.
Then, You can either re-install the driver like method 3 or replace it with existing one from your PC. To do it –
- Go to C:\ATI and find a file called atikmdag.sy_ or atikmpag.sy_.
- Then, Copy that file to the desktop.
- Now, Open start menu, type cmd, right-click on the Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.
- Then, Run those following commands.
expand.exe atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys
expand -r atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys
- Once you have finished the process, copy the newly created atikmdag.sys file to C:\windows\drivers\.
- At last, Restart your PC.
It should fix video TDR failure related to the AMD graphics driver.
5. Fix this BSOD Related to the nvlddmkm.sys
If you have NVIDIA GPU, this BSOD may be related to the nvlddmkm.sys. To fix this problem, you will have to completely uninstall the NVIDIA driver and then re-install it. To do it, you can follow the method 3. But, You also can Display Driver Uninstaller to do it effectively.
After uninstalling, re-install the driver. It should fix VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE related to the nvlddmkm.sys.
6. Fix BSOD Related to the igdkmd64.sys
To resolve this problem, Uninstall the Intel HD Graphics driver and re-install.
7. Run CHKDSK Command
If you are still encountering this problem, you should repair basic disk issue. It also may solve video TDR failure error. To do it, follow the instructions.
- At first, Open the command prompt as administrator like method 4.
- Then, Run the following command.
chkdsk /f /r C:
- Here, C: is the drive letter. You can use a different one. Example: D: for local disk D.
- Then, Press Y and hit enter.
- Restart your PC.
It will repair basic disk errors. Sometimes, BSOD appears due to disk problem. In this case, it will resolve the problem.
8. Analyze Dump File and Fix Video TDR Failure
If you still encounter this blue screen of death error, this method is ideal for you. A dump file can help you to identify the main reason behind a stop error on Windows 10. So, To troubleshoot this BSOD, you should analyze the minidump file and take proper steps. You can find all the instructions on here.
9. Tweak PCI Express Power Management
The first 8 methods are more than enough. But, If the problem still exists, you can tweak PCI express power management settings to fix VIDEO TDR FAILURE. To do it, follow these instructions.
- At first, Open the start menu, type powercfg.cpl and hit enter. It will power options Window.
- Now, Mark “High Performance” and click on “Change Plan Settings” next to it.
- Then, Click on “Change advanced power settings.”
- After that, Find PCI Express and expand it.
- Then, Expand Link state power management.
- Now, Set the settings off for both Battery and Plugged in.
- Save the settings and restart your computer.
It should fix video TDR failure blue screen error on Windows 10. You also can try fixing RAM Problem if needed. If you know any other helpful methods, you can let us know in the comment box.