Sometimes, in your Windows desktop or laptop, an unexpected problem, “No Audio Output Device is Installed,” may appear. This article will guide you on how to fix this problem effectively.
Suddenly, You may see that your laptop or desktop is silent, and there is a small red mark in the volume icon on the taskbar. When you click on it, you may see the no audio output device is installed. This problem appears in two situations. You may notice it after installing or resetting Windows 10. Also, It may suddenly appear on your Windows laptop or desktop. But, Solutions for these two situations are the same.
Table of Contents
Reasons Behind No Audio Output Device is Installed Error:
The reason can be software related or hardware related. If there is anything wrong with the audio driver, you can see such errors. It can be due to an outdated audio driver version, any problematic windows update, or a third-party service. Again, If there is something wrong with your sound-card, the same problem may appear.
How to Fix No Audio Output Device is Installed in Windows 10
You can easily fix this problem by following some methods. Especially if there is no permanent damage occurred, any of these methods should solve no audio output device is installed problem.
1. Use Built-in Audio Troubleshooter
When this problem occurs, you should see a red mark in the volume icon. However, Even if there is no red mark, you still can follow this method. If you run the Windows 10 audio troubleshooter problem, it has a very good chance to fix no audio device is installed error. Here are the instructions to follow:
- At first, Right-click on the volume icon on the taskbar and choose “Troubleshoot Sound Problem.”
- Then, follow the instructions to troubleshoot the problem. The latest Windows 10 will prompt a chat Window where an AI assistant will help you fix the problem.
However, If it doesn’t help you or it seems not good to you, you can follow the next method.
2. Use Third-Party Troubleshooter
There are some excellent troubleshooters available. For example, the Driver Booster. It has an audio troubleshooter that may fix no audio device is installed problem on Windows 10. To use it, follow these instructions.
- It first, Download the Driver Booster and Install it on your computer.
- Now, Open it and click on the tools icon to go to that tab.
- Then, Click on Fix no Sound.
- Now, Click on the Fix button. It will analyze and apply possible fixes.
- At last, Driver Booster will finish troubleshooter the no audio problem and you may start hearing sounds from your PC. If you hear any sound, click on “Yes. It works.” Otherwise, click on “No. Try the next solution.”
The free version of this software can fix your problem. However, It also has a pro version that has advanced features. You can read the complete Driver Booster Pro Review.
3. Update/Install Audio Driver
For any types of audio-related errors on Windows 10, this method is a very effective solution. To fix no audio driver is installed problem, you can update the audio drivers. To do it, you can use any of these best driver updaters. These tools can do everything automatically.
However, If you want to update drivers manually without any third-party software, follow these instructions.
- At first, Open the start menu, type devmgmt.msc, and hit enter. It will open the Windows Device Manager.
- Now, Expand “Sound, Video and Game Controllers” from the list.
- Then, Right-click on the audio drivers and choose Update Driver. Example: High Definition Audio Device.
- Now, You can choose your preferred way to update the audio driver.
- After updating, restart Windows 10.
It should resolve no audio device is installed problem.
4. Roll-Back to Previous Audio Driver Version
You may be facing this problem after updating the audio driver. Sometimes, It happens in the background with Windows update. As a result, You may not notice whether the driver has been updated or not. However, If the latest version has a bug or incompatibility issue with your PC’s other components, you may end up facing some audio-related problems. So, It is wise to roll-back to the previous version if something wrong happens. If the update occurs automatically by driver booster or any third-party updater, you can easily roll-back to the previous version. However, If it occurs with a Windows update in the background, you will need to follow the manual approach. Here are the instructions:
- At first, Open the device manager like method 3.
- Now, Find and double-click on your audio driver. It will open the driver properties.
- Then, Click on Driver tab. There, You will see the option “Roll Back Driver.” Click on it to roll back.
It should solve the problem.
5. Re-Install Audio Driver
If the previous 4 methods don’t work, reinstalling the audio driver can be the better option. If the driver software becomes corrupted, it will solve any related problems. However, here are the instructions to re-install the audio driver.
- At first, Open the Windows Device Manager like before.
- Now, Find the audio driver, right-click on it and click on “Uninstall Device.”
- Then, Confirm the Uninstallation.
- Now, Restart Windows. It should automatically re-install the driver. However, If not, you can use the Driver Booster or Driver Easy or Outbyte driver updater or any third-party driver updaters to do it.
Note: Windows or even the driver updaters may not find the appropriate drivers in some rare cases. In this case, You should look for the drivers on your PC manufacturer’s website.
At last, check if it fixes no audio output device is installed problem or not.
6. System Restore
The system restore is an excellent solution to overcome many Windows 10 problems. Especially, If none of the above methods work, you can perform a system restore to a restore point when you were not facing this problem. It should help you to get rid of no audio output device is installed.
7. Check for Hardware Problem
The Audio card may have been damaged. You should check it by yourself or anyone with experience. If you find the problem is related to the hardware, you may need to repair or replace it.
These are the ways to fix no audio output device installed on Windows 10. If you know anything better, you are welcome to put it in the comment box.