Windows has some important components which are essential for proper functionality. This article explains how to reset windows update components and when you need it.
Updating your operating system to the latest version is necessary if you have the concern about security. Because Each update comes with various bugs fixes and security improvements. But, If there is any problem with the essential update components, windows may not be able to download/install the update file. To fix it, you will need to reset update components. But, It’s a bit tricky task.
Table of Contents
Guide to Reset Windows Update Components
Don’t worry. Here, You are going to get all technical information to get your job done. You can reset these components in two ways. Manually and automatically. Here are the details.
1. Reset Update Components – Manual Method
This method is a bit long. But, If you can do it successfully, it will reset windows update components as well as fix related problems. Here are the steps you will need to follow.
- First of all, Open the start menu, type cmd, right-click on the Command Prompt and choose run as administrator.
- Now, Run these commands to stop updating related services.
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
- Now, Use this command to delete qmgr*.dat file.
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat”
- After doing it, don’t close the command prompt. Just rename software distribution folder.
- Then, Reset catroot2 folder.
- If you have completed the first few things, now, reset the BITS. To do it, run these commands.
sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
- Now, You will need to run a few commands to BITS and update files. You can click here to download the command list.
- After running these commands, run the command given below to reset the Winsock.
netsh winsock reset
- At last, Start the update related services. To do it, you will have to use these commands.
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
These are the steps to reset windows update components. By the way, You should restart your computer to see the effect. It is very helpful to get rid of several critical update errors.
2. Reset Windows Update Components Automatically
For some users, the manual method may seem to be difficult or boring. They can run a script to do these things automatically. It will also automatically reset update components on Windows 10. Here are the instructions.
- At first, Download this file. You may get a notification that the file is not safe. You can ignore it or follow the manual method. As I know the file is safe.
- Now, Run it as admin. To do it, just right-click on it. Then, Choose Run as administrator.
- Then, It will automatically do the rest of the things. When everything is done, restart your computer.
These are the ways to reset windows update components. I hope these information will help you a lot.