Do you need help with updating Windows 11 on your PC? Also, is there an error message of “Something went wrong” repeating anytime you try to update? If yes, then you are experiencing update error 0x8007001F, and some methods can fix this issue and help you in Windows update without any hindrance.
Update Error 0x8007001F is one of the most complained errors from the users, which they face while updating. When this error code pops up during the attempt of Windows 11 update, it indicates a problem with device drivers, system files, or corrupted files.
Table of Contents
What is Error Code 0x8007001F on Windows 11?
Error code 0x8007001F appearing on your screen while updating means there is a problem with the installation process. It occurs due to missing or corrupted system files, outdated device drivers, or unstable internet connection. Your audio drivers can also cause this issue if obsolete or corrupted.
The error message is mainly seen when you try to update your Windows to the latest 11 version. It can also occur in Windows 10 updates. In both versions, the root of this issue is the same.
How do I Fix Windows 11 Update Error 0x8007001F?
There are various ways to fix the update error 0x8007001F according to different kinds of faults found in your computer. However, before going through these solutions, we suggest you do these quick things:
- Check your internet connection and make sure it’s stable.
- Ensure that you are not using a VPN or Proxy.
- Disable your third-party antivirus temporarily.
After that, go through the methods mentioned below to get rid of the update error you are encountering:
1. Run Troubleshooter for Windows Update
Running a Windows update troubleshooter may fix the Error 0x8007001F issue, and to run that, follow these easy steps in Windows 11-
- Press the Win + I keys at the same time to open Windows Settings.
- Navigate to System from the left sidebar and then go to Troubleshoot, as shown in the screenshot.
- Click on Other troubleshooters.
- Then, locate the Windows Update troubleshooter and click on the Run button next to it.
- Wait until the troubleshooter finishes running the scan; it will notify you when it’s done.
- If the scanning result shows any problem, select Apply this fix to imply the suggested fix.
- And if there is no problem found in the displayed result, exit the troubleshooter.
2. Manually Update Windows
Sometimes your Windows updating can get stuck in automatic mode, but it may work if you try updating it manually. To do that-
- Visit the Windows Update Catalog page.
- Search for the update you want to download. Usually, update names start with KB at the beginning.
- Click Download next to the correct update.
- Then, install it on your PC.
This method is one of the fruitful ways to fix the error, but if there is any other issue with the driver or system files, it may not be able to fix the error. So, we suggest you use Driver Booster to update all of the drivers on your PC.
For more, check out how to update drivers.
Also, you can read this driver booster review if necessary.
5. Reset the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot 2 folder
If a corrupted update cache is present in your computer, it can also cause the error 0x8007001F. Specific components and services need to run in a proper state to install the updates. That’s why you should reset SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders. It will do the job.
For this, learn how to reset the SoftwareDistribution folder and also learn the way to reset the Catroot2 folder.
4. Modify the Registry
The Windows Update Error 0x8007001F can also occur because of a faulty registry key. If the error has a relation with the profile key in the Registry, so fixing unnecessary and invalid subkeys may fix the problem. These are the steps to do that-
- Press Win + R on the keyboard to open the Run.
- Type regedit and click on OK.
- Then the User Account Control prompt will appear; click Yes on it.
- After getting inside the Registry Editor, navigate to the following location-
- Then, search for the invalid profile from this location and delete them by choosing Delete from the menu.
- If you fail to detect the invalid profile keys, download SetupDiag Tool.
- Run the tool; then, it will create a Logs.zip Package.
- Extract the zip file and search for the registry keys with warning signs.
- When you find the problematic registry keys, delete them following the first 5 steps mentioned above.
6. Perform a Clean Boot
Performing a clean boot may resolve the problems with device drivers, system files, or corrupted files, which are the possible cause of error 0x8007001F.
- Open Run like before.
- Type msconfig and press Enter.
- Click the Services tab.
- Then check the box next to Hide all Microsoft services and then click Disable All.
- Click on Apply and OK.
- Restart your PC.
Now, try to update again and see if it works. If not, boot into the normal mode.
If the above methods don’t fix the update error 0x8007001F on Windows 11, try the following things:
- Take steps to fix corrupted system files.
- Uninstall any problematic driver.
- If it’s a major Windows update, try to use the upgrade assistant.
Are you still getting the same problem? Seek professional help. You can also contact and report the problem to the official Microsoft managing and developing team.
I hope we were able to give you the information you were looking for on fixing update error 0x8007001F. Following the mentioned methods will most likely resolve the error if you correctly follow the mentioned methods.