Are you looking for a solution to Fix Windows Sandbox failed to start: (0xc0370106)? This article may help you with some effective troubleshooting methods.
It has no doubt that the Windows Sandbox is an excellent feature of Windows 11 and 10. It allows you to test untrusted programs in another virtual Windows 11/10 PC. However, Users have been encountering various errors while launching Sandbox. Especially, Windows Sandbox failed to start error 0xc0370106 has become very common. When users encounter this problem, they usually see the following message.
Windows Sandbox failed to start.
Error 0xc0370106. The virtual machine or container exited unexpectedly.
The problem has become very annoying. Because it completely prevents you from using the sandbox. It keeps appearing every time you open the sandbox. It has become a widespread problem in Windows. Many people are reporting this issue on the Windows Community forum, Reddit, and other platforms. But, very few solutions are available there. These also worked for very few people. However, This article has some solutions that may help you.
Table of Contents
Methods to Fix Windows Sandbox failed to start error 0xc0370106
It is annoying to keep encountering the same sandbox error again and again. You should not expect that the methods mentioned in this article will surely help you. Any of them may or may not help. But, You can Follow these methods to troubleshoot Windows Sandbox failed to start error 0xc0370106 and hope these will work.
1. Run as administrator
As the first, Solution you should open the sandbox as an administrator. A very small number of people said it worked for them in similar situations. So, you can try it too. However, To do it, follow these instructions.
- At first, Open the start menu and type sandbox.
- Now, Right-click on the Windows Sandbox and choose “Run as Administrator.”
If you are lucky, It may work for you.
2. Install pending updates (KB4505903) and restart your PC
You may have a pending update. So, you should check for the updates and install if available. Whether the update is available or not, Restart your computer. It also may solve windows sandbox failed error 0xc0370106.
Note: Recently many users were experiencing this Windows sandbox failed to start error. In the latest cumulative update KB4505903, Microsoft has fixed this problem. So, If you haven’t updated your PC yet, do it to get rid of this problem.
3. Make sure required services are active
There are some required components that must be active if you try to run Sandbox. It should be active by default. But, You also should verify it. Because the problem you have been encountering maybe because any of the required components are not running. To do this, follow these steps.
- At first, Right-click on the taskbar and then click on Task Manager.
- Now, Go to Services tab and look for the following services.
- Container Manager Services
- Hyper – V Virtual Machine Management
- Hyper – V Host Compute Service
- Network Virtualization Service
- Virtual Disk
- Make sure these services are running and active.
- You can activate them manually if any of them is not active.
- Then, Run sandbox.
However, If you want you can enable/disable these services by doing the following things.
- At first, Press Win + R on the keyboard. It will open RUN.
- Now, Type services.msc and hit enter. It will open services window.
- Find the services I have mentioned above and start/stop/restart them. You will get relevant options when you right-click on any of the services name.
It may fix Windows Sandbox failed to start error 0xc0370106.
4. Disable and enable Sandbox
Re-enabling sandbox also may work. So, you also can try it. If you don’t know how to enable or disable sandbox, follow this article.
5. Uninstall recent/problematic update
It may happen that you have been facing problem while launching the sandbox right after installing the recent windows update. In this case, you can uninstall the update to get rid of sandbox failed to start error 0xc0370106.
However, Recently, this error has been occurring due to a cumulative update KB4497165. So, you can take an immediate step to uninstall this update. To uninstall, follow these steps.
- At first, Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.
- Now, Click on the “View Installed Updates.” Then, you will see all the installed updates on your PC.
- At last, Uninstall the recent update and restart your computer.
However, Windows may automatically download and install the update again. In this case, you can do the following things.
- At first, Press Win + I to open Windows 10/11 settings.
- Now, Go to Update & Security and click on “Pause updates for 7 days.”
If it fixes Windows sandbox failed to start error 0xc0370106, you can pause the update for even more time. Resume it when Microsoft releases permanent fixes in the next update. Otherwise, Resume the update when you find it is not solving the problem.
6. Repair corrupted system files
The problem can also occur due to corrupted system components on your PC. In this case, SFC and DISM commands may help you to get rid of it. If you don’t know how to run these commands, follow this article: How to Repair Windows System Files
7. Keep patience
This problem can be a known issue and most users may be encountering it. In this case, Microsoft may already be aware of this. In this situation, they may release an update that will fix the Windows sandbox failed to start.
There might be other things that you can try. As it is a new type of error, I will keep updating this article with more solutions. If you know any, you can share it in the comment box.