To learn how to fix driver PNP watchdog BSOD Error on Windows, this article can be a perfect source.
Recently, Many users have been complaining about a blue screen of death. That is Driver PNP Watchdog. Like other similar errors, It also can prevent users from booting Windows normally. So, It may be more difficult to troubleshoot. However, It is not impossible to fix this blue screen of death. Some ways have made it possible.
Table of Contents
Possible Reasons Behind Driver PNP Watchdog Blue Screen of Death:
In fact, The driver PNG watchdog is a stop code error caused by the driver’s fault. However, Sometimes, There may be even complex things that play behind this error. It includes third-party software conflict, physical hardware problems, and many more things. However, Here are some of the most common reasons for this problem.
- Wrongly Configured BIOS settings especially for SATA configuration
- Virus and Malware Problem
- Third-party Security Software
- Faulty or Missing System Components
- Memory Problems
- Outdated or Faulty Drivers
These are the most common things that may cause this stop code error. But, Don’t worry. This article explains how you can get rid of this error easily.
How to Fix Driver PNP Watchdog Blue Screen of Death on Windows 10
If you are already a victim of this problem, you can take some initiatives. Before taking actual steps, disconnect all the external devices except the keyboard and mouse. Then, see if it helps. Anyway, here are the 14 most effective troubleshooting methods to fix driver PNP watchdog BSOD.
1. Check BIOS Settings Especially the SATA Configuration
If you have recently modified BIOS/UEFI settings, you should undo the changes. It can solve the problem. However, If you don’t remember any BIOS settings modification, you should check the SATA configuration and correct it. Or, You also can consider the restore default settings. Anyway, here are the instructions.
- At first, Turn off your PC.
- Then, press the power button.
- When your monitor starts displaying anything like a motherboard brand logo or similar things, start pressing F12/Del/F2. Which button you will press depends on the motherboard brand.
- Now, It will open the UEFI or BIOS settings. Just, Navigate to the relevant options to find SATA configuration.
- Now, Correct the SATA setting. You can choose between the options to learn which one is the correct.
- After that, Save the settings and restart your PC.
- Alternatively, You can restore all settings to its default state.
It should solve the blue screen of death error.
2. Update All the Drivers
As incompatible or faulty drivers can cause this problem, you can try this method. In fact, In many cases, It is the best solution to fix Driver PNP Watchdog bugcode error.
However, Updating drivers can be another hassle. There may be hundreds of drivers installed on your PC. It is almost impossible to check each one manually and update them one by one. So, I suggest you use Driver Booster Or Driver Easy, or Driver Genius. These tools can check for the driver update automatically and also update them with just a single click.
However, If you want to do it manually, You can do the following things.
- At first, Open the start menu, type devmgmt.msc and press enter. It will open the Windows Device Manager.
- Then, You will see a list of drivers. Just, Right-click on one and choose Update Driver.
- Then, Follow your preferred method to do it.
- To learn more, read: How to Update Drivers on Windows
Hopefully, This method will solve driver PNP watchdog blue screen error. If not, follow the next methods.
3. Check Volume Shadow Copy Service
It is another widely used method to troubleshoot this BSOD. In Windows especially, Windows 10, there are tons of services that help give you a smooth experience. However, For some reason, If these stops working, you may start encountering problems like stop code errors. The volume shadow copy service (vssvc.exe) is one of these services. To fix the driver PNP watchdog, you should make sure this service is active and correctly configured. To do it, here are some steps you can take.
- At first, Open the start menu, type services.msc and hit enter.
- Now, Find the Volume Shadow Copy and double-click on it.
- Then, From its properties, set the startup type to Automatic and also click on start to activate the service.
- At last, Click on Apply and OK and restart your computer.
If luck favors, it may resolve the blue screen of death.
4. Update Windows
If the Windows on your PC is extremely outdated, it may be a reason you are facing this problem. So, To avoid this type of confusion, I suggest you update the Windows to the latest version. It may repair driver PNP watchdog as well as other errors.
5. Scan Full PC for Viruses
Virus or malware problems can be a reason behind this problem. So, You should run a full system scan on your PC. In this case, I suggest you use a powerful antivirus program. You also can consider antimalware tools like Malwarebytes, MalwareFox, Hitman Pro, Malware Fighter, etc.
6. Clean Boot
Third-party software like antivirus, firewall, or any services may be the reason behind this BSOD. So, I suggest you uninstall your antivirus temporarily to see if it helps. You also should perform a clean boot. It will help you to understand which third-party software is causing the problem. If you find one, uninstall it.
7. Clean Junk File and Fix Registry
It is another way to fix driver PNP watchdog BSOD. You can use CCleaner or Advanced SystemCare to clean up junk files. These tools also can fix corrupted registry issues. But, Before that, I suggest you back up the registry.
8. Rename Software Distribution Folder
Generally, People apply this method to fix windows update-related errors. However, You also can try this method. It may help you to get rid of the driver PNP watchdog bugcode error. If you don’t know the procedure, read: How to Reset SoftwareDistribution Folder
However, After renaming that folder, do the following things.
- At first, Press Win + X or right-click on the start button.
- Then, Click on Windows PowerShell.
- Now, Run the following command.
- At last, Restart your computer.
It may solve your problem.
9. Uninstall Problematic Windows Update
In a few cases, users may start experiencing driver PNP watchdog after updating Windows. It may mean many things. But, The most common opinion is that the Windows update is problematic. In this type of moment, you can blindly consider uninstalling that update to fix your problem. In fact, If you have software like IObit Uninstaller, It is very easier to uninstall an update. However, If you want to do it manually, follow these things.
- At first, Navigate to Windows 10 Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Update History.
- Now, Click on Uninstall Updates.
- Then, select which one you want to uninstall and do it.
10. Repair Disk Errors
In some cases, basic disk problems can cause this BSOD. So, To repair driver PNP Watchdog, I suggest you resolve these disk issues. You can use the chkdsk command to do it. For details, read: How to Repair Hard Disk Problems
11. Repair Corrupted System Files
If somehow some system components get corrupted, you may encounter this problem. So, You should take proper action. SFC and DISM are two popular commands you can use to fix this issue. In this case, I suggest you read: How to Repair Corrupted System Files
12. Troubleshoot Memory Problems
If the problem still exists, it can be an alternative option to fix driver PNP watchdog. You can take steps to troubleshoot RAM problems. If the memory issue is the real case, it will solve the problem permanently.
13. Analyze Dump File to Troubleshoot Driver PNP Watchdog
This is probably the best method to fix this blue screen of death if the first 12 have failed. A memory dump file contains a lot of information about the blue screen error. If you can analyze it, you will be able to find out what exactly is causing the problem. So, It will become easier to take proper troubleshooting steps to fix driver PNP watchdog. To learn more, read: How to Analyze Small Memory Dump
14. Reset Windows
If all other options fail, it is probably the last thing you can do. Just reset Windows. It should solve the problem.
These are the most effective ways to fix driver PNP watchdog. However, If you know any other way, you can put it in the comment box. That will help others.